We got POP - Search feature
An in-depth research on improving the search functionality of the platform
Platforms: Web application
Tools: Guerilla user testing, user surveys, user journeys, heuristic evaluation, comparative study.
The challenge: Perform UX research and suggest improvements on how search works
The 'We got POP' platform is a browser application that allows Assistant Directors and Casting Agents to cast, book and pay extras effortlessly for any project. One of my tasks was finding ways to improve “POP Precision”, a search functionality which allows users to find best-fit extras for their casting needs.
My part in this project was to conduct all the necessary research and evaluate the end-to-end experience of the primary user base as they search and book artists.
Note: The following are excerpts from the study
Purpose and Scope
This purpose of this study was to evaluate users' interaction with the search and selection of suitable extras for each project.
Collecting this data would provide us with:
- Baseline information on the current experience that could be used as a comparison for future online experiences
- Behavioural observations and insights into the current user experience
- Insights into design solutions on how to improve and strengthen the experience
For a full analysis please read the full study.
A comparative assessment allows us to explore how other websites and platforms handle the search process. Albeit not direct competitors of our platform these are systems that are used by a big number of users.
We often find that users benchmark their current user experience with products they have used in the past. It is also these same past experiences that have taught and educated users on what to expect and how to interact with commonplace user interface elements.
The study collected qualitative and quantitative data to answer several research questions, including:
- Task completion - How well does the site support our users' ability to
accomplish key goals and tasks? Tasks like:
- Finding artists
- Filtering through specific criteria
- Selecting and booking artists for the appropriate project
- Navigation and information architecture
- How does the site structure support the users' ability to accomplish their tasks?
- Can they navigate to the artist search and from there find and select artists?
- What pathways do they take?
- Content and terminology – Do our users understand the content and does it help them accomplish their tasks?
- Layout and visual design – What are our users’ impression of the visual design?
One part of the study was attitudinal research, conducted by an online survey directed to our current in-house and client users. Collected data was quantitative (“closed questions” - i.e category ranking metrics) and qualitative (“open ended questions”- i.e data including participant comments).
For the second part of the study I conducted behavioural research in the form of an in-person usability study using recording software. In order to gather insights into user performance and unmet needs.
The study collected information such as task completion rates, time on task, navigation and content insights, overall satisfaction, areas of concern, and unmet needs.
User Testing Audience - I conducted the study with 5 participants who represented a significant spectrum of usage behaviours. I recommended testing with this audience because they were suitable for the age-bracket and average activities of our AD personas. The number (5) of the participants is recommended for recurring qualitative testing.
After testing, I followed up with an evaluation method based on established usability principles as they are defined by the Nielsen Norman Group. These 10 usability heuristics help identify core problems within digital products and ensure optimal usability at a base level.
This evaluation was conducted to help identify issues in the platform that did not conform to universal user experience standards and basic principles.
The study provided us with:
- Metrics. Objective and behavioural performance data that provided a usability baseline to measure future improvements
- Audience insights. Actionable insights on how to optimize the user experience for our users
- Actionable improvements. Concrete recommendations for improvements based on research findings
You can find the study in full here:Back to Case Studies